Hello people of the internet!
Today I will kick of this new Delicious Dutch series with Apple Pie! Last week I made this for the friends of my boyfriend. It was quite a challenge since the kitchen didn’t have as much kitchen equipment& utensils as I’m used to (spoiled…). But I survived .Let’s get started.
Oh! Sorry for the photos not being as nice, but as I told you I was not in my own house 😉
What you will need
For the dough
- 300 grams of all purpose flour
- 200 grams of butter
- 150 grams of sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the filling
- 75 grams of raisins
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 kg of sour& firm apples
- cinnamon to taste
- 2 tbsp of sugar
How to make it
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees Celcius. Put the raisins in some lukewarm water for about 5 minutes.
- Butter a springform and then put a bit of flour in and tap the form so it covers all sides properly. This will prevent the pie from sticking.
- Mix the flour, sugar, butter, 1/2 of the egg, pinch of salt and the lemon zest to make the dough. Knead until it forms a firm ball.
- Normally I would roll out this dough on a floured surface, but there was no rolling pin. So it is also an option to just put some dough in and press it down with the back of a spoon, takes a bit longer but it works fine! Make sure you cover the bottom and the sides. Save around 1/4th of the dough for decorating. Prick the dough with a fork.
- Time to peel the apples! You can either do this by making a peel snake, but I do it as following (saves time): Cut the top and the bottom off, this is to make it stable. The put it down and run your knife from top to bottom to remove the peel. Then cut down besides the core. Now you can easily cut the sides into cubes.
- Mix the apples, sugar, drained raisins and lemon juice. Add cinnamon tot taste. Put the filling in the springform.
- Time to make the decoration. Roll out the leftover dough with either a rolling pin or like me, with a clean glass. Cut it into 2,5 cm wide strips and make a nice weave on top. Brush with the leftover egg and place it in the oven for 1 hour.
- If you want you can brush the top with some warmed apricot jam to make it shiny. Enjoy!
What would you like to see in one of the next Delicious Dutch episodes?
Have a lovely sunday!